Last night's "friendsgiving" was such a great time! God has truly blessed me with amazing friends-near and far- and it's nights like these that remind me to be thankful for the simple and priceless gifts of friendship and love.
|Very intense game of Apples to Apples|
|Lola and the girls|
|And, of course, Home Alone, a classic!|
My top New Year's Resolution was to be a more thoughtful friend. Well, with my inability to say "no" to things that really don't matter, and "YES" to the things that enrich my life and the lives of others, I find myself a year later in the same boat. Time to take my life back! It's been highjacked by needless stress and busyness. Time to get my priorities straight!
Phew, now that I have that off my chest, there really are SO many things I have to be thankful for. I have been blessed far more than I deserve so a loving and understanding God who knows my heart. On top of my fabulous friendships, here are just a few of the blessings in my life:
- My sweet, sweet loving husband. I was fortunate enough to marry my very best friend, and he loves me endlessly. I'm a hot mess most of the time, but he is patient and kind–what love should be. He makes me laugh, makes me cry (in a good way) and takes such good care of me. Not to mention he's so stinkin' cute it's not even fair! :)
- I have such a sweet and caring family who believes in my dreams and has uplifted me my entire life. My mom is my rock, who gives the best advice and has such a kind heart. My daddy is so kind-hearted, too. My awesome brother who is so much like me and has become one of my closest friends. He is so smart and witty, and we can share music with each other and have deep conversations til late into the night. He is definitely so special to me.
- Both of my sets of grandparents love me so much as well. My "Mema & Pa" on mom's side saved their entire lives to put me and my brother through college, and have always been so proud of me. As my Mema is losing her memory, their love story reminds me so much of "The Notebook." They are coming up on their 60th wedding anniversary, and are such a symbol of patient love. My dad's mom was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, but she has the most amazing spirit and positive attitude. She is definitely an inspiration.
- Lucky for me, I married into a fabulous family as well! I totally lucked out in the in-law department. I've been a part of their family for a long time before it was "official." His parents, brothers, sisters & sister-in-laws and all their awesome extended family are so much fun and have made me feel at home.
- I am grateful for my good job and my coworkers who make my days full of laughter. I am using my degree and earning great experience.
- I am grateful for Nacogdoches, the little community that has taken me in and has a wonderful vibe. It's the friendliest place I've ever been, and I'm lucky to call this place home.
- I'm grateful for the nice things we've been able to work hard for. Two cars, a precious house, electronics and all the little extra things.
- I am grateful for my gifts of creativity. It speaks to my soul, and I'm so passionate about making things with my hands.
- Despite my attempts to wreck this component, I'm thankful for my health! But I've definitely got to take better care of this gift. Maybe after all those holiday parties. :)
Looking at that list reminds me that the best things in life really aren't "things" at all. Looking forward to strengthening these relationships, starting with my three Thanksgivings in the next three days! Nothing like a feast to bring everyone together.
From me to you, I wish you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving. Remember the gifts God has given you and the friends and family who make it all worthwhile.