In the midst of all this holiday hustle and bustle, I turned the big 2-7 on Dec. 30. The 27th year has always stuck out in my mind as the year that rock stars die. Jimi, Janis, Kurt, Jim Morrison. My dad (in his hippie days) always thought he'd die at 27, a legend in his own mind.
Now, I don't live fast, and I'm not as much as a rock star as I used to be, but it got me thinking about all the things I want to do BEFORE I grow up. Before I have a kid, mostly. I still have a bunch of wild oats that need sowing, a lot of gypsy soul that needs quenching.
I've seen a few "30 before 30" lists out there, and, well, the clock is ticking for me! I best put it in writing and let someone (read: all of you) hold me accountable.
Drum roll please....
Here is my 30 before 30 list, in no particular order:
1. Add another passport stamp. (Preferably Germany, Sweden, Thailand, Costa Rica...but I'd go anywhere!)
2. Go on a Texas Wine Trail.
3. Become a craft show vendor.
4. Save $10,000.
5. Learn another language. (German!)
6. Get into the best shape of my life.
7. Take an art class.
8. Learn the harmonica and play it on stage (A hidden talent I discovered via a drunken river trip that I'd like to pursue!)
9. Hike a mountain.
10. Go to a concert at Red Rocks.
11. Start a new tradition.
12. Go to a music festival (Austin City Limits, SXSW or Coachella).
13. Learn to sew an outfit.
14. Start a garden.
15. Do work I'm passionate about.
16. Write an article for a travel magazine.
17. Have 1,000 blog followers.
18. Take a good old-fashioned road trip.
19. Go RVing.
20. Visit eight more states.
21. Knit a scarf.
22. Take a fishing trip with my dad.
23. Help someone accomplish a dream.
24. Do a meaningful service project.
25. Go to Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
26. Run a 5K.
27. Do a workaway trip.
28. Grow my business into a self-supporting income.
29. Build something.
30. Learn to SCUBA dive.
Wow, just writing those out makes me excited and anxious all at once. I better get busy! I'll be documenting my journey along the way, of course!
What do you want to do before you "grow up?"